photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Prime

There are a few movies that I watch every time they are on TV. Hitch and The Devil Wears Prada come to mind. I know them backwards and forwards and have memorized most of the lines. They aren't examples of any particular cinematic achievement, but what can I say? They make me feel good. Watching them makes me happy.

Another one of my "watch it every time HBO airs it" favorites is Prime, starring Uma Thurman, Meryl Streep, and the adorable Bryan Greenberg. If you haven't seen it, Streep plays Lisa Metzger, a therapist and Thurman is her patient, Rafi, who has just gone through a divorce. Rafi eventually starts dating David Bloomberg, played by Greenberg. Aside from the fact that Rafi is 37 and David is 23, their relationship is further complicated by the fact that David turns out to be the therapist's son.

The movie has some funny moments, but I can't decide what I love most about it. The film is set in New York , primarily SoHo, Greenwich Village, and the Upper West Side. It just feels very "New York" to me. Rafi has a very cute wardrobe and gorgeous apartment, which I love seeing. I also love the fabulous soundtrack which includes John Coltrane, Rufus Wainwright, Ray LaMontagne, Notorious B.I.G., and Rachael Yamagata. Oh, and there's also the fact that Bryan Greenberg is pretty damn hot. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend that you do. Who knows, you may end up watching it several dozen times like I have.

4 comments:

Sheri said...

Okay, I was just laughing at myself the other day when The Devil Wears Prada was on, and I had to watch it for the 20th time. I have also seen Prime and Hitch numerous times. Sadly, I think My Super Ex-Girlfriend is even creeping in there.

Brilliant Asylum said...

I agree. This is a great New York movie. Love the soundtrack too.

mrsplainjane said...

I love this movie too!! :) I'm going to the Nanny Diaries asap just becaue of the NYC filming factor. haha! Anyway, I just tivo'd Prime on HBO recently. Have been meaning to watch it again. It's really a sweet movie, and I love the soundtrack too- anything w/ Rufus on it is alright by me!! It's usually one of my favorite weekend soundtracks.

Anonymous said...

a little late here...just discovered your blog and couldn't be happier! prime is one of my favorite movies! totally underrated.